FERRY & BOAT TOURS
Boat trips and tours on Lake Como are something that I’d definitely recommend to anyone who wants to experience their holidays at its best.
Whether you are visiting Lake Como for a day or staying longer, jump aboard a boat, relax and reach your favourite destination: Bellagio, Varenna, Como, or maybe one of the historical villas on the shores of the lake.
The local public navigation service (Navigazione Laghi) provides several routes that connect all of the most popular towns along Lake Como’s shores, at a convenient price.
With a driver at your disposal you have the chance to choose your favorite itinerary and the length of your cruise. The best to experience Lake Como at your own pace.
The public boat service is provided by Navigazione Laghi, whose fleet basically consists of three types of boats, each with its own routes:
- Motorships connect all the towns along the shores of Lake Como
- They offer a slow service, and are perfect for those who want to enjoy the trip and take many photographs
- Also hydrofoils connect all the towns along the shores of Lake Como (except for the southeastern branch)
- They offer a fast service, and are perfect for those who have little time and want to get the most out of their trip
- They connect only the towns in the central part of the lake
- They are the only type of boat that allows the transport of cars
Motorships operate two main routes:
- Como-Colico: this route stops at each town from southwest to the north (including Argegno, Tremezzo, Bellagio and Varenna)
- Lecco-Bellagio (only in summer): this route only serves towns in the southeastern branch of the lake
Motorships provide a very peaceful journey that gives you the chance to admire the surrounding coasts and take a lot of amazing pictures.
- Como - Argegno: 1h 05 min
- Como - Tremezzo: 1h 50 min
- Como - Bellagio: 2h
With a little advance planning, you will be able to visit at least two or three towns in a single day. You can start from Como in the morning and get to Bellagio in the early afternoon, then you can head to Tremezzo and travel back to Como in time for dinner.
Hydrofoils provide a fast service, for a slightly higher price.
The journey includes fewer stops, although most destinations are always guaranteed.
Remember that this route does not serve towns in the southeastern branch of the lake.
- Como - Argegno: 25 min
- Como - Tremezzo: 45 min
- Como - Bellagio: 50 min
- Como - Varenna: 1h 15
Remember to buy your ticket before getting on board!
Fares of Lake Como’s public boat service
You can buy different types of tickets (fares change according to the ticket that you want to buy):
- One-way / round tickets: buy this ticket if you want to travel to a specific destination, without intermediate stops.
- One-day / six-day pass: holders of these tickets are entitled to an unlimited number of trips within the area of validity, including intermediate stops.
- Ferry tickets: the cost of a ferry ticket is €4.60 per person, car excluded. Remember that ferries (the only boat type that allows vehicle transport) connect only Bellagio, Menaggio, Varenna and Cadenabbia.
- One-way ticket Como-Bellagio (by motorship): €10.40
- One-way ticket Como-Bellagio (by hydrofoil, the fast service): €14.80
- One-way ticket Lecco-Bellagio (by motorship): €8.30
To calculate the exact amount of the one-way ticket, click here and, in the table on the left, select your starting point and your desired destination. You will find a number that corresponds to the selected route, here called “strecht”; now, look at the upper table on the right – “One-way ticket prices” – and find out the corresponding fare.
- One-day pass for the area Como-Bellagio: €23.30
- Six-day pass for the area Como-Bellagio: €69.90
- One-day pass for the area Lecco-Bellagio: €19.40
Both one-day and six-day tickets are valid on fast service runs – upon payment of the relative supplement – and are not valid on night cruises, except where otherwise not indicated.
Each pass is personal and non-transferable.
- One-way ticket Varenna-Bellagio for a couple with a regular car: between €12.60 and €15.50
- One-way ticket Varenna-Tremezzina for 3 people with 3 motorbikes: between €19.20 and €25.80
- One-way ticket Bellagio-Cadenabbia for 4 people with a camper: €29.50
If you want to embark with your car, with a bike or other vehicles, find some detailed information about the vehicle transportation charges here.
Where to buy tickets
Tickets can be purchased at the ticket office near the dock of almost any town (onboard purchase – with cash/credit card and without any additional cost – is allowed in case of towns with no ticket office). People with disabilities can always buy the ticket on board without extra charge.
You can buy one-way tickets online (payment by credit card only) on the official website of Navigazione Laghi. But if you are going to buy your ticket at the ticket office, just make sure you get there about 15-20 minutes before the departure.
5 best places to sleep in Lake Como
Hotel Du Lac, Bellagio
Hotel La Perla, Tremezzo★★★
For couples and families
Le Stanze del Lago, ComoAPARTMENT
Varennahouse, Varenna APARTMENT
Hotel Bellavista, Menaggio
For couples and families
Most of the towns will give you the chance to take a private boat tour on Lake Como at your own pace, maybe at sunset and with a fine bottle of prosecco.
If you are looking for a private tour with a driver at your disposal, here are some options that may be right for you!
from €420 (up to 8 people)
Admire stunning views of Villa Balbianello, Villa Carlotta, Bellagio and other must-sees