FERRY & BOAT TOURS
Boat trips and tours on Lake Como are something that I’d definitely recommend to anyone who wants to experience their holidays at its best.
Whether you are visiting Lake Como for a day or staying longer, jump aboard a boat, relax and reach your favourite destination: Bellagio, Varenna, Como, or maybe one of the historical villas on the shores of the lake.
The public boat service is provided by Navigazione Laghi.
The service operates all year round (with the exception of the southeastern branch, where it only operates in the summer), although in the low season it has a reduced frequency of service.
Below I collected the most useful information that will help you organize your transfers, but if you don’t find what you are looking for, or if you have specific questions, please contact Navigazione Laghi directly through their website.
About the routes
There are three main routes:
Como - Colico (and back)
The most popular route (for passenger transport only) that connects Como, on the southwestern tip of the lake, to Colico, in the north, and makes stops along the way.
Yes, this is the route that takes you from Como to Bellagio and that also connects Bellagio and Varenna. You can choose between two types of services:
- Regular service (Corse battello in the map above): this one stops in all towns with a pier along the route and is perfect for those who want to enjoy the trip and take many photographs. In winter, this service is more limited than in summer, in favor of the fast service.
- Fast service (Corse rapide): this one makes fewer stops, although the major destinations are always guaranteed (Argegno, Bellagio, Varenna, etc.). It costs a little more than the regular service but is perfect for those who have little time.
Ferry in the central area of Lake Como
Ferries in the central area (Corse traghetto in the map) allow the transport of vehicles, but they only operate between the towns of Bellagio, Varenna, Menaggio, and Cadenabbia.
In the peak season, due to the high tourist influx, this area also has a shuttle service for passenger transport only (Servizio navetta in centro lago) that connects the following locations: Bellagio, Varenna, Tremezzina and Bellano.
Lecco - Bellagio (and back)
This route (for passenger transport only) connects Lecco, on the southeastern tip of the lake, to Bellagio, on the promontory between the three branches of the lake. It only operates in the summer.
Schedule & timetables
Below you can find the PDF timetables currently provided by Navigazione Laghi. However, I invite you to use the timetable search form on their website for the most up-to-date schedules (I recommend that you always check the box "INCLUDES FAST SERVICE" to get the broadest possible overview of available rides).
Como - Colico (and back)
Ferry in the central part of Lake Como
Lecco - Bellagio (and back)
Currently not available
Tickets & fares
Remember to buy your ticket before getting on board!
Fares of Lake Como’s public boat service
You can buy different types of tickets, the rates of which vary depending on several factors: distance between the point of departure and the point of arrival, presence of intermediate stops, surcharges for fast service, etc.
The best thing you can do to know the exact price of your trip is to visit the website of the company and use their search form. However, below is an overview of what you can get.
Types of tickets
- One-way and round-trip tickets: buy this ticket if you want to travel (and travel back) to a specific destination, without intermediate stops (you can sail from Como to Bellagio but without getting off at Argegno for a coffee).
- Free-circulation tickets: holders of these tickets are entitled to make intermediate stops between the piers for which the ticket was issued (if you want to visit multiple destinations by lake in a single day, this is probably the best choice). This type of pass can be valid for one day or six days, depending on your travel needs.
Fares for most common routes
- One-way ticket Como-Bellagio: €10.40
- Free-circulation ticket Como-Bellagio (valid 1 day): €23.30
- One-way ticket Bellagio-Varenna: €4.60 (this price applies to all one-way passenger transfers between towns in the central area of the lake)
Surcharge for fast service varies by route (see on the company's website). Discover more about:
Where to buy tickets
Summer 2022 update: you can currently purchase tickets online (on Navigazione Laghi's website) for regular service trips only (which means: no vehicle transportation, no express service) for the following trip types:
- one-way/return trips
- free-circulation tickets (trips with intermediate stops)
Otherwise, tickets can be purchased at the ticket office near the dock of almost any town (onboard purchase – with cash/credit card and without any additional cost – is allowed in case of towns with no ticket office). People with disabilities can always buy the ticket on board without extra charge.
If you are going to buy your ticket at the ticket office, just make sure you get there about 20-25 minutes before the departure. Keep in mind that during the peak season the turnout at ticket offices can be very high. If you can, buy your ticket online to avoid standing in line under the sun.
Travel times for popular journeys
- Como - Argegno: 1h 05 min / 1h 15 min
- Como - Bellagio: 1h 30 min / 2h
- Bellagio - Varenna: 15 min
- Bellagio - Menaggio: 15 min
- Como - Argegno: 20/25 min
- Como - Tremezzo: 40/45 min
- Como - Bellagio: 45 min / 1h
- Como - Varenna: 1h 15
Disabilities, Covid-19, etc.
Green Certificate: Access to local public transport services is allowed to holders of green certification with the obligation to use FFP2 type respiratory protection devices until the end of the state of emergency.
People with disabilities: Important information for people with disabilities.
In case of any other doubts, please consult the FAQ page of Navigazione Laghi.
Places to stay in Lake Como
Most of the towns will give you the chance to take a private boat tour on Lake Como at your own pace, maybe at sunset and with a fine bottle of prosecco.
If you are looking for a private tour with a driver at your disposal, here are some options that may be right for you!
Riva Super Florida
at a location of your choice
with Venetian Limousine