How to get to Como
If you’re landing at Milan Malpensa airport, you have two options: renting a car or getting to Como by public transport.
1. If you rent a car at the airport, simply follow the directions toward Como/Chiasso. Take the new A36 motorway (Pedemontana Lombarda) and continue for approximately 15 kilometers (9.3 miles). Turn right and take the A9 motorway toward Como/Chiasso. When you’re driving on the A9, continue north until you reach the Como Centro exit.
2. Many tourists want to know how to reach Como from Milan Malpensa airport by public transport. Here’s how you can do it. Malpensa Express is an efficient service offered by Trenord regional rail, which is the best way to get to Lake Como from Malpensa airport. The train starts from Terminal 1 and gets to Saronno train station in about 20 minutes, then you have to change and take the train which heads to Como Lago. Ticket price for both routes is €9.90 (€7 for Malpensa Express and €2.90 for the Saronno – Como route). Notice that if your plane lands at Malpensa Terminal 2, you can rely on a shuttle service that will lead you directly to the departure platform.
Milan Linate airport is located in the eastern periphery of the regional capital and represents the arrival point of most international flights.
1. If you rent a car at the airport, you should head for Milan and take the A51 motorway (Tangenziale Est). Then, take the A9 motorway toward Como/Chiasso and follow the previous instructions.
2. Alternatively, you can rely on the Starfly bus service, which connects the airport to Milan central station in 15 minutes. From there, you can get to Como by train. You can buy your ticket on board at the price of €5.
TOP 5 places to sleep in Lake Como
Some personal tips on where you could sleep:
Bergamo airport is one of the most popular destinations for a low cost trip. The airport is actually located in Orio al Serio, a small town that is fifteen minutes away from Bergamo and about one hour from Milan. If you’re landing at Bergamo (Orio al Serio) airport, you have two options: renting a car or getting to Como by public transport.
1. If you rent a car at the airport, simply follow the directions toward Como/Chiasso.
2. Alternatively, you can rely on public transportation:
- Orio Shuttle: in order to get to Como, travellers can benefit from the services offered by the Orio Shuttle, which connects Bergamo airport to Milan and other important locations. Service is guaranteed seven days a week. Right outside the airport, Line 1 will take you to Milan central railway station in about 50 minutes, then you can get to Como by train. Ticket price for the shuttle service is €4. You can also take Line 3 right next to the train station, which connects Bergamo airport to Monza via Borsellino e Falcone (about 40 minutes of travel). Like before, you will need to take a train to Como.* Ticket price for the shuttle service is €8.
- Airport Bus Express: Airport Bus Express by Autostradale is another shuttle service which connects Bergamo airport to Milan central station in 50 minutes. Ticket price is €5, but you can save €1 if you also buy the return ticket.
- Bergamo – Como by train: Another option to get to Como from Bergamo consists of travelling by bus from the airport to Bergamo city. The Atp bus will take you to Bergamo railway station in about 15 minutes, then you can take the train to Monza and change for Como. From Bergamo train station you can also get to Milan, Lecco, or other places that may pique your interest. Ticket price for the bus service is €2.
There are two main train stations that will let you travel to Como from Milan: Cadorna (regional rail service) and central station (national service). In the first case, you can take a train from Milan Cadorna station to Como Nord Lago and travel for almost one hour. Ticket price is €4.80.
Milan central station is the most important rail connection point of Lombardy. Before planning your trip, you’d better take a look at the official website of Trenitalia and see which trains go to Como S. Giovanni station, since their destination may even be a foreign city (usually Bellinzona).
In order to easily plan your journey, you can also check the official website of Lombardy Region.